Your Neighbourhood Beat Managers – Let’s talk about it


The Police can use powers under the Police Reform Act 2002 to seize the bikes and have them destroyed. Do you have any information about the use of these vehicles, where they’re being ridden and who by?

If you want to provide information via email contact your local neighbourhood team on (if you do not want them to contact you then please say so on the e-mail.

You can also call 101 to make a report

Information that can help the police may include:

  • The name and address of the owner of the off road vehicle
  • Where the off road vehicle is being stored
  • When and where the off road vehicle is being used (e.g. days, times and routes)
  • Any other useful information such as a description of those who use the off road vehicle and it’s make/model and colour
  • Any photos or videos of the off road vehicle or the offenders

The Law

You can only ride an off road motorbike legally if it is in private land and you have the land owner’s permission. Land owned by the local council is not classed as private land.

In law, off road motorbikes are regarded as motor vehicles which must be constructed to a specific standard in order to be ridden on a public highway. Most off road motorbikes do not meet this standard. Visit the Department for Transport’s website for more information.

In addition to meeting construction requirements, off road motorbikes also need the following if they are to be used on a public highway:

  • DVLA registrations (log book)
  • Road Tax
  • A valid MOT
  • Fitted with lights
  • Fitted with registration Plates
  • Type approval

The rider must also:

  • be aged 17 or over (or 16 if the vehicle meets the definition of a moped)
  • Hold a valid driving licence
  • Have Valid motor insurance
  • Wear suitable safety equipment (e.g. a motorbike helmet)

If the above conditions are not met, it is illegal to ride an off road motorbike on the road. If you own or ride one of these vehicles it is your reponsibility to know the law.

Failure to comply is a criminal offence and may result in prosecution under the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Police Reform Act 2002. Your Motorbike may be seized and destroyed.


Comments are closed.