Home > Councillors > Elections


Elections and Voting

The next ordinary elections for the Town Council are due to take place in 2025.

Details of  Vacancies

Vacancy Newbiggin North Ward

Northumberland County Council has confirmed that it has received no requests for a by-election and the Town Council may proceed in filling the vacancy for the North Ward by co-option.

Co-option advert 2023

Newbiggin by the Sea Town Council needs a new team member to fill the vacancy on the North Ward; if you think you could fill this role and are over 18 years of age, contact the Town Clerk on 01670 851833 or email townclerk@newbiggintowncouncil.gov.uk

What is a councillor? Councillors are elected to represent an individual geographical unit on the council, known as a ward. They are generally elected by the public every four years, but following a recent vacancy we have one seat available to join the North Ward.

What do councillors do? Councillors have three main components to their work.

  1. Decision making – Through meetings and attending committees with other elected members, councillors decide which activities to support, where money should be spent, what services should be delivered and what policies should be implemented.
  2. Monitoring – Councillors make sure that their decisions lead to efficient and effective services by keeping an eye on how well things are working.
  3. Getting involved locally – As local representatives, councillors have responsibilities towards their constituents and local organisations. These responsibilities and duties often depend on what the councillor wants to achieve and how much time is available, and may include:
  • Going to meetings of local
  • Going to meetings of bodies affecting the wider community
  • Taking up issues on behalf of members of the public


To be eligible to stand you must?

  • Be a British Citizen, or a Commonwealth Citizen,
  • Be 18 or over,
  • You must be either; on the electoral register for the parish, have lived in the parish or within three miles of its boundary, for at least a year, have been the owner or tenant of land in the parish for at least a year, have had your only or main place of work in the parish for at least a year.

To be eligible to stand you must not be disqualified under section 80 of the Local Government Act 1972.

Being a Councillor can be an enjoyable way of contributing to your community and helping to make it a better place to live, work and visit.

If you are interested in learning more about the role or wish to apply on our application form, please contact the Town Clerk via the contact details above.  The closing date for application is Tuesday 31st October 2023.

Return of Result of Uncontested Election

Below is the result of an uncontested election for Newbiggin North Ward on Newbiggin by the Sea Town Council in the election which is scheduled to take place on 6th May.

Previous Election Results

Please download the results of past elections
Loading posts...
Sort Gallery
Newsletter Input text