Your views – Newbiggin CCTV Project
Newbiggin by the Sea Town Council have agreed to implement a town-wide CCTV system to provide a safe and secure environment for the benefit of those who might live, visit or work in the area. The system will not be used to invade the privacy of any individual, except when carried out in accordance with the law. The scheme will be used for the following purposes:
- to reduce the fear of crime;
- to reduce vandalism of property and to prevent, deter and detect crime and disorder;
- to act as a deterrent to potential offenders by publicly displaying the existence of CCTV, having cameras clearly sited that are not hidden and signs on display in areas being monitored;
- to assist in the maintenance of public order and reducing offences involving vandalism and nuisance;
- to provide high quality evidence which may assist in the detection of crime and the apprehension and prosecution of offenders;
- to protect property;
- to provide assistance with issues relating to public safety and health;
- to provide assistance and reassurance to the public in emergency situations.
This will contribute to a reduction in crime and disorder to improve public perception of personal safety and protection of assets.
The Town Council have invited tenders for the design, supply, installation and maintenance of a town-wide CCTV system. The Town Council are keen to ensure that Newbiggin by the Sea is a safe place to live, work and visit and need to know that you agree that an effective, legally compliant and value for money CCTV system is needed and installed within the parish as part on an overall package in tackling crime and anti-social behaviour and to improve community safety.
Costs, requirements around the Protection of Freedoms and Data Protection laws and actual levels of crime have to be taken into consideration. Estimated costs for an initial design, supply, installation and maintenance of a 12 camera system that can be added to in the future are in the region of £25,000.
Prior to signing any contracts with suppliers and to comply with legislation, we feel it is important to have your views on the overall principle of having surveillance in the town.
You can provide your views by completing the very short survey on the following link: Surveillance Survey
by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org , or
writing to: Newbiggin by the Sea Town Council 76 Front Street, Newbiggin by the Sea NE64 6QD
The deadline for responses is Wednesday 12th February 2020.