Play Areas

Home > Services > Play Areas

Newbiggin Town Council manages the following recreational facilities around the town:

Attlee Terrace

Located at the north of the bay near the Church Point this popular play area was last renovated and improved in 2019 with a large range of equipment for the younger and older children. It is adjacent to the Maritime Centre and in close proximity to parking and the beach. Public toilet are available in the town centre.

Milburn Park Play area

This new play area was opened in April 2023

Located at the south of the Bay beyond the Bowling Green, this playground can be accessed by car from the B1334 and also by foot from the south of the Promenade and along Beach Terrace. It is next to a car park the Needle's Eye rocks the beach and a picnic area. Public toilets are available at Newbiggin Bowls Club but only when they are open.

Skateboard park

A large bowl with floodlighting during the winter evenings and CCTV coverage.

Multi-use games area at Skate Park

Plans are underway to upgrade this MUGA into a Playzone working with Northumberland County Council.

Multi-use games area at Long Park


Central Park

This large play area located on Central Parkway is in close proximity to Grace Darling Primary, and Newbiggin Sports and Community Hub in in the centre of Newbiggin and it is popular with the local children. One section that has just been upgraded in December 2023 features a toddler to primary age train themed equipment.  We were grateful for the contribution and support of Ashington Leisure Partnership towards this refurbishment.

The seconded area is for primary to secondary age children and was last upgraded in 2018

All the play areas are regularly inspected and offer safe play facilities for children in the town.

Play Areas under Third Party responsibility

The play area located at Spital Estate is managed and maintained by Northumberland County Council Tel: 0345 600 6400

The play area located at Moor Estate is managed and maintained by Bernicia Tel: 01670 522204

To report an issue with a Town Council owned play areas please email us at or complete the following form providing as much information as possible.

Report an Issue

    Loading posts...
    Sort Gallery
    Newsletter Input text