The Colliery War Memorial
The Colliery War Memorial is located on Woodhorn Road next to Oakland Avenue. The cenotaph style war memorial was designed by Messrs. Cackett and Burns Dick of Newcastle and unveiled on the 9th July 1921 by Major-General Sir R A Kerr Montgomery.
The memorial Park was raised by public subscription and constructed on a site given by the Freeholders of Newbiggin located on Front Street. The gateway itself was designed by Messrs Cackett and Burns Dick of Newcastle, and built by Mr Gibson of Newbiggin. The surrounding stone walling and pillars are by Messrs. Finlay and Robinson of Woodhorn. The plaque on the archway was unveiled on 8th November 1924 by Major N Southern and dedicated by Canon Rhodes, Vicar of Woodhorn. The bronze gates were unlocked by Mr. Cutter of Newbiggin Urban District Council.
The Memorial Park was restored in 2015 and Walls of Remembrance added designed by Art of Stone Memorials, this was unveiled by Col. J Anderson, Deputy Lord Lieutenant of Northumberland.
Newbiggin Town Council are responsible for cleansing the war memorials and will lead on maintenance matters.