About the Garden
Following a request, we have established a Dedication Garden where people connected to Newbiggin by the Sea can be remembered by their relatives by planting a tree in their memory. The Town Council has dedicated four trees in memory of our town’s miners and sea farers.
The Garden was officially opened on Sunday 20th March by Marcia Bircham, Chair of Northumberland County Council, and was well attended. It has been generously supported with expert advice and practical help from the County Council and our thanks go to those involved.
Dedicating a tree
Trees will be planted twice a year during winter to maximise the likelihood of the trees’ survival. Certain terms and conditions apply to any request; please carefully read them on the Policy.
To dedicate a tree to a loved one, please complete the following request form, as outlined.
- Complete the request form and send it to:
Newbiggin by the Sea Town Council,
76 Front Street,
Newbiggin by the Sea,
Northumberland NE64 6QD.
- The Town Council will acknowledge receipt of your request and send you an invoice for the total costs. We will keep you informed of when planting is due to take place.
- You will be invited to the planting service where you will be able to plant your tree, if you wish.
Terms and Conditions
- All trees and artefacts remain the property of Newbiggin Town Council.
- No human or animal remains may be buried in or around the area. Ashes may be scattered in or around the area. The area designated is not a burial or internment site.
- Trees and artefacts can only be included in the Dedication Garden with written permission of Newbiggin Town Council.
- The cost of the trees, plaques, tree guard must be paid in full and in advance of the trees being dedicated into the Garden. All money received through this scheme will be used to finance the purchase of trees, guards and maintenance works.
- Trees can only be planted at specific times of year as directed by Newbiggin Town Council. This is to ensure that trees are planted in their dormant stage to provide the tree with the greatest chance of survival. Trees will be planted as part of a multi-faith dedication service arranged by the Newbiggin Town Council.
- Only trees that are approved by Newbiggin Town Council may be planted in the Dedication Garden. This is to ensure that hardy trees that are suited to the environment and surroundings are planted and are likely to survive.
- The Dedication Garden will be maintained jointly by Newbiggin Town Council and Northumberland County Council.
- Terms and Conditions may be changed by Newbiggin Town Council at any time and without any prior notice.